Monday, May 24, 2010

PET/CT Scan

Today started like any other day - get up, do the kid shuffle (thank you, Aimee for taking the boys this a.m.) and go about my business - except I had to do that on NO coffee and/or food in order to be prepared for my scheduled PET/CT scan. The fog never lifted... actually it still hasn't. I need more coffee.

I digress.

I checked into RMCC and got started right away on my smutt reading (poor Sandra Bullock). Sadly, I was only 3 minutes in before the nice nurse came in. She directed me to an ultra comfy chair, informing me that I was just supposed to sit there for 45 minutes so that the injected glucose could get through my blood system. She pricked me, a gentle one, and injected the glucose, covered me with a delightfully warm blanket and left. RMCC has wireless internet, so I was able to get a little work and Facebooking in (now that I'm bringing my laptop everywhere I go). Thank goodness for modern technology!

I'm not sure if the glucose made it's way through my veins, I never felt any different. Right at the 45 min mark, she came back in and instructed me to "empty my bladder" and head to the PET/CT scan room. Where I see this:



I laid down as instructed, she covered me with another delightfully cozy warm blanket, and told me what to expect: CT scan, go in and out 3 times and PET scans, 3 1/2 minutes each of 5 small sections from my eyebrows to my knees. 25 minutes total.

I was so relaxed from my cozy blanket and lack of coffee, I was startled when she slid me out to tell me it was over. It was a VERY painless - dare I say, relaxing - experience.

NEXT UP:
2:00 appt with genetic counselor
3:00 appt with oncologist Dr. Moran for PET/CT results

1 comment: