Monday, May 24, 2010

The schedule

It was a long day with three appointments at RMCC, but I was able to get the ball rolling for treatments.

The results of the PET/CT scans were as predicted showing malignancy in the tumor of my left breast, as well as in my lymph nodes (a couple in my left armpit, as well as the one behind my breast plate). My original plan to do chemo first is actually recommended, particularly for the lymph node behind my breast plate which would be quite hard to get to with surgery. It will be treated with chemo first, and radiation later.

I'll start my first chemo treatment on June 7th and every third week thereafter for six total sessions. Side effects are: hair loss, fatigue, bowel issues, mouth sores and, I'm sure, a whole host of other things since chemo is supposed to kill all your red blood - AND cancerous - cells. I'll have surgery three weeks after my last chemo treatment. They should know midway through if the tumor is shrinking enough for me to get a lumpectomy vs. mastectomy, which is my preference.

NEXT UP:
Tomorrow, testing my heart
Thurs, Pre-op appt with Dr. Johs (oncology surgeon)
June 4th, Portacath surgery

3 comments: