Friday, June 4, 2010

My morning at the hospital

Today was the big day... the beginning of treatment to get rid of this pesky cancer. I had the port implanted.

Woke up this morning feelin' fine (hey, isn't that a lyric in a song?), didn't have breakfast... or coffee. I decided to walk to the hospital to get some fresh air before going under. It's a beautiful day today. It only took about 15 minutes to get there- I love that!

Checked in, and the receptionist looked at me funny, but was still quite lovely. Walked back to the room and Mr. Happy Nurse took my vitals and laughed at me salivating over the need for coffee (am I addicted, or what?). More nurses came in - one complimented my haircut (thank you, Liz) and the other said, "Oh, she was right, the receptionist said you looked like a movie star" - HAH! - I think they tell everyone that to loosen them up for surgery. They must.

Finally the rolled me back, and, well, that's about all I remember until I woke up a few hours later.



As Andrew previously posted, Dr. Johs had a hard time getting the port into the vein he was hoping to use, so he poked me a few times and finally went into the jugular. I'm pretty sore as a result. But the vicodin is doing it's job to take the edge off.



After taking x-rays and determining that the port was properly placed, they let me go.



All the nurses were fab - especially the ones who thought I looked like a movie star :) and the overall experience was not bad.


NEXT UP:
3 birthday parties this weekend and chemo on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. My Courageous!!! Beautiful Movie Star Daughter!!
    I Love My Girl!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete