Thursday, June 3, 2010

The 2nd Opinion

What a busy week we've had! Every day is slam packed with doctors appointments, social fun, kid fun, work fun, and basically keeping my family happy while we figure out how to navigate through the appointments and emotions brought on by this pesky cancer. It's been a while since I've updated - sorry.

Yesterday we went to the University of Colorado Cancer Center in Denver for our 2nd opinion. In short, the treatment route we're taking is recommended and they gave us a little more information to work with, they also recommended we biopsy my lymph nodes (and did it right there!) just to confirm they were malignant. Plus, they - regardless of whether we use them - offered back-up support (phone calls, appointments, partial treatment) anytime we want it. It's like my safety net.

Here is what we know:
1. My cancer is not stage 2b as previously diagnosed, but actually stage 3 (gulp)
2. It IS curable.
3. Chemo first is becoming increasingly the choice for treatment, surgery later- especially if the patient wants to preserve the breast. The chemo will most possibly shrink the tumor to nothing, minimizing the surgical procedure.
4. I will most definitely have to have radiation - especially for the node behind the breast plate (very hard to get to with surgery)
5. I will also have to have hormone therapy.

Here is the schedule:
Chemo starts on June 7th - continues every 3 weeks for a total of 6 treatments
Surgery will be 3 weeks after my last treatment.
After recovery, radiation starts (recovery time depends on which surgery I receive)
Radiation is daily for 6 weeks.
Hormone therapy is after that (actually not exactly sure of this schedule) and continues for 5 years - I think it's simply taking pills.

Next up:
Today- pre-surgery appt
Tomorrow - implant port
Monday - 1st chemo treatment

Fun birthday weekend, huh?

2 comments:

  1. I love you Susan!! We are still praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan. We're thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete