Thursday, May 27, 2010

Prepping for procedure

This morning I met with Dr. Joh's physician assistant, Tracy Moran - who also happens to be Dr. Moran's wife - about the portacath procedure next week. She walked me through what to expect and what it looks like (photo below).



It will be inserted on my right side, just below the clavicle bone and completely under the skin. They've allotted one hour for surgery, but expect it'll take less time. They'll knock me out and send me home with plenty of percocet- and since the next day is my birthday, I was sure to ask if I could enjoy a glass of wine. She said to be careful mixing drugs, but that if it were her, she would absolutely have a glass of wine. Oh, and I will.

Apparently, I'll be tender and probably uncomfortable, but that it's a much easier way to get the chemo drugs into my system. After treatments, they'll take it out.

NEXT UP:
Tomorrow - Chemo Teach, learn about the ins-and-outs of chemo
Thurs, June 3rd- pre-surgery paperwork and labs
Fri, June 4th - port surgery
Mon, June 7th - 1st chemo treatment

1 comment:

  1. AND YOU DESERVE THAT GLASS OF WINE!
    STRENGTH FOR TODAY TO YOU!
    I LOVE YOU!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete