Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Creating Sacred in a Mad, Mad World

I'm not a religious person in the sense that I attend weekly church meetings or subscribe to a particular spiritual organization. But, I do subscribe to the notion that there IS higher power and that higher power actually lives inside of me.

Yes, mama, Jesus lives inside of me! ;)

Organized religion simultaneously pisses me off and mysteriously calls to me. Why? Because we are human and humans are, by default, faulty. I have visions of toothy, slick-haired pastors preaching fear and condemnation, then passing the tithing platter around to collect their 10% of your hard-earned cash. They drive away in the Beamer to their house high on the mountain top, grinning from ear to ear. Suckers!

**Sorry- I just went off on a tangent.**

Ok, so the reason it calls to me is because I love the idea of the "community," of finding meaning and creating "sacred" in this mad, mad world. It's important to me for my kids to understand the meaning of a "higher power" and to find their own meaning. I want them to be able to go to that safe place inside of them (Jesus?) when they feel lost and confused. I want them to be able to find an inner strength that will help them rise above the hurts and disappointments that they will surely feel during their lifetime.

Which is why I'm forming my own church. It's called the Church of Susan. You're welcome to come to service any day of the week. What can you expect? You can expect honesty. You can expect to sit at our dinner table and to talk about happy, positive things. I will try to understand you... but you have to communicate with me. I can't read your mind, so please be open and share your thoughts with me and if you love me back, you'll be ok with this. I acknowledge that I am flawed and you should too.... then I promise to work with you so that we can both become a better human beings.

My church finds sacred meaning in the smallest of things. Sharing a glass of wine before dinner, reading our favorite Curious George books before bedtime, piling up on our queen-sized bed with 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 dogs - even though it's a tight squeeze. We honor the earth and are blown away every single day by the beauty around us. I believe that sacred moments pass me by every second and I strive to tap into each and every one of them.

Life is a gift and whether you think it comes from God or not, you must learn how to appreciate it and find meaning. For every second things are changing and every moment gone, is a moment lost. Savor it. I know I am, as best as I humanly can.

Here is an article about the same thing, that I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment