Friday, March 4, 2011

Butter


I see a ghost in my room.  I watch as he floats aimlessly around inspecting my rocking horse, my baby dolls, and me, as I lay frozen in my full size bed. I start thinking he may have seen what he needed, but as he floats toward the living room, I panic.

I'm frightened to death, but I can't let that ghost get to my baby brother, no matter how docile he may seem. I bravely suck in my breath and run past him as fast as my three-year old legs will take me- through the living room, through the kitchen and into the hallway. Finally, I reach his room. I look back to make sure the ghost hasn't caught up to me and I quickly duck in and close the door behind me. Brother has no idea he's in danger, sleeping soundly in his crib. I look in and touch his angelic face. "I love you, Butter. I won't let that stupid ghost get you, I promise." I spend the rest of the night sleeping on the floor next to his crib.

I always thought Mama had my brother just for me. I loved my brother more than anything in the world. I would carry him around like a baby, play tea party with him, push him on his tricycle and smother him with kisses. He was my "Butter" and I was going to protect him from the world.
__________

This is an excerpt from my writing project (non-fiction, memoir).

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Did the nickname "Butter" stick to your brother (and if so, has he forgiven you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Nope "butter" didn't stick, thank goodness for him!

    ReplyDelete