Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dear Hair...

Wow! I can't believe we've been together for so long! How long has it been anyway... 39 years? Well, I'm not sure we can count that first year. It took a while for you to grow on me. But, definitely, after the first year, we've had some incredible times together.

In the beginning, you were pretty pale and flimsy... but as I grew, so did you. You went from a blonde bob to gorgeous brown pigtails. I loved those pigtails. Then we moved in with Auntie P who thought I didn't take good care of you so she cut you off into a Dorothy Hammel short cut. I didn't really like you then.

By the time I was a teenager, you were back though- and with a vengeance! You became LARGE and WILD (with my help, of course). You were just an extension of my crazy large and wild hormones. You put up with me teasing you, perming you and plastering planet-killing-spray on you. You were forgiving and I appreciate that about you. You must've been so happy when I met new bff W and started treating you a little more, say, naturally.

Then, we went off to college. Those were the days, huh? We romped around freely all long and brown. Hardly a cent was spent on you then and you were beautiful and thick and happy. That didn't last too long - and again, I'm sorry about that. I wanted to branch out and see what the other side was like. That's when we became short and blonde, we must've been reverting to childhood then.

Remember the time we went red? That wasn't as fun as we were hoping. We had to turn to harsh bleach to get back to "normal".

Then we moved to Colorado and went brown and long again. I knew you were happy, but I'm sorry to tell you that I don't think you suited me too well. That's when we met Liz and she sassied us up!! Remember all the complements we got? We also got that jeep and went wild- but that's another story all together.

So... here we sit and things are about to change again. Seems like my body doesn't want you around anymore and I keep finding pieces of you all over the place. It's driving me CRAZY! You are not cooperating (why couldn't you just stay put??) and I'm going to have to let you go.

It makes me so sad, because we've had such an amazing run these past 39 years. But alas... life starts anew. Oh, don't cry, Hair. We'll be together again someday and that will be an amazing reunion. In the meantime, however, I need to try out other hairs. Short bobs, long dark pigtails, even a pink little number. They'll never be YOU - NO ONE can EVER replace you. They're just going to stand in until we can be reunited. Please be patient.

Until we meet again. I love you.

Your friend and companion,

Susan

1 comment:

  1. It's just hair. You are awesome with it or without it, it's not YOU. Have with the new coifs!

    ReplyDelete